Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Car


Anyone who knows me know I am a +Honda girl. Ever since my parents handed down their 1977 Honda wagon to me, I have been a fan. My husband, Jim, knew this when he married me. So many years later when my 50th birthday was creeping up, he decided I needed my dream car, a Honda convertible, and that meant an S2000. But of course, being Jim, he did his research and discovered a special model, the S2000CR, and he determined it was exactly what we needed.

Two things worried me about this. First, CR stands for Club Racer and as Car and Driver stated, “this is a track-day toy.” I am not a race car driver. I don’t want to be. Second, the CR is not an automatic convertible, meaning it has a removable hard top. This was never an easy task for the two of us and usually the removal or replacement of the top led to hurt feelings is not an argument. It quickly became apparent that it was his almost 50 present, not mine. But it made him so happy, I really didn’t mind.




He even went to great lengths to make the car a more comfortable ride for me by changing the suspension to make it less bouncy and adding sound dampening. When he started commuting into the city, he didn’t want to put in the miles so the S, as we’d begun to call it (also known as his baby) became my daily commute car. Every day when I returned home from work he would circle around it checking to see what new damage may have been inflicted. Usually there was none. Finally I’d had enough and we got a third car for commuting and the S was for weekends.

We took some great trips with wonderful memories made in that car; through redwoods, to the beach, to Yosemite. It really was fun and the S grew on me over the years. When Jim was diagnosed with cancer he vowed to drive the S to every doctor appointment and treatment for as long as he could. The staff loved seeing him tool up in his sporty little roadster wearing his Cancer Sucks t-shirt. We tried to attend a CR meet in LA while he was in the midst of radiation treatments. He didn’t want to be taking morphine while driving and the withdrawals made him so sick that we had to go home the morning after we arrived. He was so disappointed.
Car washing at CR Meet


As his illness progressed, bills added up and disability payments were delayed. Jim decided he need to sell the car to make sure we had enough money. I begged him not to. Yes, we had enough money, but more importantly it would have broken my heart to watch him watch that car drive away. Fortunately the disability check came through about a month before he died, so the car was never sold. It brought him such joy to work on, drive and just look at that car. He never had to say goodbye to it. I am so grateful for the happiness that car brought him.

A few months after Jim died, I contacted a friend we’d made through the +S2000 Club of America CR community. Although I was looking for advice on selling the car, he convinced me to not make any quick decisions and helped me understand what I needed to do to keep and take care of the car. First and foremost, I knew if I was going to drive it at all it had to be topless. But in order for that to happen, I needed to take off the roof, not an easy task. In order for that to happen, I needed to build or buy a rack to store to the roof on once it was removed. Once I built the rack out of PVC (taDa), I needed a place to put it, so I cleaned out the shed, making room for the rack and roof. But before that could happen, I needed to be able to park the now topless car in the garage. And in order for that to happen, I needed to clean out the garage. As I silently shook my fist at Jim for the number of saws (or whatever tool) he had, I realized, if the tables were turned and he was cleaning out my ‘cave’, he’d be cursing me out for the number of pairs of shoes I owned. So I sent a silent prayer up thanking him for always making sure we had the right tool for the job. Once there was space, I realized I needed to remove a workbench he had built. Every step led to another, like the house that Jack Built, and this one brought tears as I had to physically break down something he had built. 

Finally I was able to remove and store the hood and park the car in the garage. In the winter I have it on a battery tender and in the summer I still drive it on weekends and short road trips. This weekend, I am making a pilgrimage of sorts, to honor Jim. S2000 drivers from around the world are gathering at #S2KHomecoming to celebrate all things S2000.I will be taking a road trip, this time without him physically there, but always a part of me, and always a part of his baby. It will be bittersweet for me to be there, knowing how happy it would have made him to be a part of such an event. But I know with all my heart he will be the angel smiling at my side the entire time.

4 comments:

  1. Sandy,
    My prayers and condolences goes towards you for this write up to share your history with us.
    Thanks so much for holding on to the driving passion, even though so much has happened to your family.
    We don't have control of things that happen to us but be of good cheer; we do have a choice in how we handle it!!
    We are happy to welcome you to #S2KHomecoming. I hope your drive will be pleasant and safe. I look forward to talking to you in person and taking pictures of the white CR. Just take each day as it comes and live life to the fullest.
    I am sure Jim would agree to this.
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, thank you for your sweet words. It was so good to meet and talk today. What a special day it was. I am sure Jim was smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pleasure was totally Mine.
      Sorry I didn't see you on the way out, but I was able to record your small clip. I put it up as "Unlisted" but anyone with the link can view it. Please enjoy it and I will see you around :) <3. I am 100% Jim was smiling this whole day and will continue to smile. You should too!!.
      -Josh
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrLElzecBMY

      Delete
  3. The rest of the story - published on s2ki.com blog http://www.s2ki.com/home/2015/09/30/journey-to-homecoming-iii/

    ReplyDelete