Sunday, October 11, 2015

My promise, my love, my life

My birthday was yesterday.  My long time friend, Kathy, agreed to take a road trip with me and drive up to Auburn. I knew I didn't want to stay home and it seemed like a perfect day to pick up a piece of jewelry I'd commissioned.  When I had Jim's wedding band sized down so I could wear it, my jeweler friend, Dave, had to cut out a section of the ring. Before we were married, when I had the ring made I had it engraved with part of my wedding vows, My promise, My love, My life. Dave determined the best place to snip, and the right amount, was the word love. When he made that first cut, I felt the air go out of the room. He made the second cut, and handed me the gold, love. With tears in my eyes, I held love in my hand. And now the ring simply reads, My promise, My life. 


 



Dave said there was enough gold to make another piece, when combined with some other damaged jewelry I had brought him. I also gave him the diamond from the original engagement ring Jim presented to me almost 19 years ago.  I asked Dave to use his artistry to design a pendant, something I could wear every day.  That was back in January, and I knew Dave kept his own time table. So I didn't really fret when I hadn't heard from him. Finally, just a week or so ago, he contacted me, apologetic that he hadn't let me know that the pendant had been done for months. Yet with my birthday approaching, I knew the timing was perfect.

Jim loved giving me jewelry and his one last time, for my birthday I received a beautifully crafted, unique piece, forged from love...in the shape of a teardrop. Priceless.

My promise, my love, my life.








1 comment:

  1. Terrific. It is beautiful and the timing was perfect. Sorry I couldn't meet up with you~ one day soon. love, m

    ReplyDelete